Contact Us

Our Stories
Policy and Research
Civic Participation
Public Benefits
Workers' Rights
Other Services

I started working at [a restaurant] in 2006. When I started working, my
boss told me that she would pay me a fixed amount  every two weeks. She
paid me in cash and didn't give me any paystubs or deduction sheets. I
was paid the same amount every two weeks, no matter how many hours I
had worked. I worked 8 to 9 hours per day, 6 days a week for over 2

I am from Mexico City and came to the United States about a year ago
and have worked in the fields picking and pruning grapes and other
products. Last winter, while working for a farm labor contractor in the
grape fields near Bakersfield, some of my co-workers and I noticed that
we were being paid below the minimum wage. Some of the other workers in
our crew didn't want to say anything. They said that because we were
undocumented, we couldn't do anything about it, and we should keep
quiet. Although some of the other workers were afraid to do anything about it,
I came with a group of workers from my crew to the UFW Foundation's
office in Bakersfield in December of last year...
I became a UFW Foundation member in the Spring of 2009 when I needed to
get my taxes done. I didn't know I needed to declare my taxes because I
don't have a Social Security number and I came from Mexico.  I didn't
know where to get my taxes done because I didn't have a Social Security
number.  At the UFW Foundation,  the tax preparer helped me fill out
all the forms and apply for an Individual Tax identification Number and
told me all the documents I would need.  I sent my tax forms by the due
date and was happy to do my part to comply with the law and show good
moral character as someone who hopes one day to obtain lawful permanent
residency. At the UFW Foundation they told me how that could help me if
there is ever an immigration reform or if I can apply for a visa... 
I have lived in the United States since 1988. I have worked mostly in
the fields since then. I have 5 children. Four of them are U.S.
citizens. I applied for U Interim relief in 2005. In 2009, I filed form
I-918 and was granted U nonimmigrant status. However, my status was set
to expire in July, 2010. U visa holders can apply for a green card after
living in the U.S. for a certain amount of time. But I had to apply for a
green card before my visa expired. The agency that helped me get my U
visa could not help me adjust my status. They referred me to the UFW
Copyright (c) UFW Foundation. All rights reserved. Site By SolLink