Harvesting the American Dream:
On Oct. 3rd, 4th and 5th, the Farm Worker Movement will join the national immigrant movement for a National Day of Dignity and Respect. The United Farm Workers is bringing the fight for immigration reform from Capitol Hill to the richest agricultural fields in the world. Hundreds of UFW and UFW Foundation staff as well as volunteers will be marching towards 100 of the largest farms California energizing and inspiring thousands of farm workers to send a clear message to Congress, "We want immigration reform today, not tomorrow."
Farm workers will be signing postcards asking their congressional representatives to vote on comprehensive immigration reform that includes a path to citizenship.
UFW staff will lead volunteers and supporters to visit local farms. The visit will happen in hours when farm workers are not working e.g. arriving to work (6am-8am) and lunch time (10am-1pm). Groups will be meeting at the local UFW office and caravan to the nearest farm. (Click here for more information on how to volunteer.)
In addition, farm workers and their supporters will again use Facebook and Twitter in a unique way to ask GOP leadership in the House to support a new immigration process that includes a roadmap to citizenship. Farm workers will post pictures of themselves in the fields and upload them on Facebook and Twitter, using the #FieldFotos hashtag. They are asking the public's help in spreading their stories by "sharing" and "re-tweeting" their posts.
Everyone knows that farm workers harvest the fruits and vegetables that feed our nation and the food served at the Capitol Hill's cafeteria. But, it's time that the GOP leadership in the House recognizes that these farm workers also deserve the opportunity to harvest the American dream for them and their children.
Join us in support of immigration reform! Support farm workers by:
1. If you live in the area, volunteer to visit farm workers in the fields.
2. Re-tweeting or sharing the farm workers’ posts on Twitter and Facebook. You can find them by typing in #FieldFotos in your Twitter and/or Facebook search bar.
3. Taking a picture of yourself holding a homemade sign saying, I support farm workers. The Time is now for Immigration reform. You can also download our English or Spanish downloadable poster here. Tweet your photo at your US Representative and/or post it on Facebook (please make the photo public so we can share) with the #FieldFotos & the #oct5 hashtag.
4. If you don't have a Facebook or Twitter account (and even if you do) can you forward this campaign to friends and family who use Facebook and Twitter?
5. If you use social media please "LIKE" us on Facebook @UFW and @UFW Foundation and follow us on Twitter at @UFWupdates and @UFWF.
Please join us in supporting farm workers. Si Se Puede! #FieldFotos #Oct5.
Arturo S. Rodriguez