Please post and circulate
Current as of:
Reports to:Development Director
About the UFW Foundation:
The United Farm Workers Foundation is a dynamic nonprofit organization created in 1974, by the late labor and civil rights leader Cesar E. Chavez, and relaunched in 2006. Our mission is to open the doors of opportunity to working people and their communities. We envision a clear path to social integration and civic participation for immigrants and their children. We reach Spanish speaking and indigenous communities and serve as essential resource hubs in Los Angeles, Phoenix, Salinas, and Bakersfield. Our Service Centers are safe havens that provide critical resources and services--such as credible immigration legal advice--and act as hubs for educational outreach. The Civic Participation Program engages farm workers and Latinos in the democratic process by telling their story and advocating for more equitable policies. The “Si Se Puede® Network,” aligns farm worker-serving organizations and provides a national infrastructure to maximize our collective impact. We serve over 60,000 immigrants annually through a holistic approach; not only do we provide critical services but we engage our constituents in systemic change to break the cycle of poverty.
Development Assistant Job Description
The Development Assistant will support the UFW Foundation’s fundraising efforts. Responsibilities will include:
Data Management and Reporting:
Donor Communications and Grantwriting:
- Enter donations in Quickbase database system, manage and update donor records;
- Manage physical and electronic grants files;
- Maintain department database systems & files;
- Assist Development Director to develop prospect donor database;
- Create and produce customized reports using Quickbase database system;
Mailings, Fundraising Campaigns, and Fundraising Materials:
- Assist DD in drafting of the quarterly e-newsletter in conjunction with the Operations Manager;
- Send timely thank you letters;
- Draft donor correspondence, assist DD to develop reports and presentations;
- Provide customer service to donors and other constituents by confirming receipt of contributions;
- Maintain regular donor engagement; (newsletters, email and social media);
- Generate and manage targeted mailing lists;
- Assist DD to maintain the implementation of direct mail and individual giving campaigns including drafting materials;
- Follow and implement fundraising plans and campaigns, and fundraising calendar with the direction of the DD;
- Coordinate the content collection and approvals process for the creation of publications and printed fundraising materials;
- Train, orient and supervise mailing volunteers/interns as needed;
Grants Development Management:
- Assist in the development and preparation of organization’s fundraising campaigns and special events;
- Assist DD in the planning and implementation of fundraising events;
- Coordinate creation and submission of grant reports, with supervision of Development Director;
- Assist DD to manage grants calendar and reporting and proposal deadlines;
- Draft letters of inquiry, proposals, and other documents to solicit funding and submit to DD for approval;
- Assist DD in writing, and submitting grant proposals with supervision by and collaboration with Development Director;
- Prepare donor or funder packets for site visits, meetings with donors, etc.;
- Support the submission of funding requests (e.g., compiling necessary documents, mailing application package);
- Perform donor and prospect research on individuals, corporations and foundations; and other duties as assigned by the Executive Director, Development Director, Operations Manager, or Programs Director.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Passion and commitment for serving marginalized communities;
- Advanced word processing skills and proficiency
- Committed and able to uphold high levels of accountability for self and for others;
- Ability to multi-task and manage the completion of multiple projects, often with shifting priorities;
- Ability to take initiative, work independently and meet deadlines;
- Ability to handle confidential donor/constituency information with sensitivity and integrity;
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment;
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated, creative, flexible, and well-organized;
- Able to work collaboratively with a team;
- Strong research skills; and
- Experience working with a social justice oriented non-profit organization.
May involve coordinating and supervising office volunteers.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor's degree and two years or more of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Requires ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. This position may require bilingual and/or bi-literate ability (English/Spanish).
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Requires the ability to type at a rate of not less than 50 Net Words Per Minute (NWPM).
Send cover letter and resume via email to Patty Aviles at email@example.com. Applications submitted before July 1st will be prioritized.